A while back after installing some Windows patches I noticed that Internet Explorer 10 stopped working (as described here). It would come up with a memory address error when I tried to load it. After a lot of digging around I found out that it was because ASLR was disabled for IE for some reason after the patches. Fortunately the fix was very easy. I just had to download the Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit or EMET for short. After turning on ASLR for IE, applying the changes, and rebooting, it’s all working again. Be aware there are a number of different versions of EMET and they correspond to different versions of Windows. Make sure you use the correct version. As of writing this the latest version is 5.1.
This post first appeared on the Long White Virtual Clouds blog at longwhiteclouds.com. By Michael Webster +. Copyright © 2012 – 2015 – IT Solutions 2000 Ltd and Michael Webster +. All rights reserved. Not to be reproduced for commercial purposes without written permission.
[…] Explorer Error after Windows Patches This is a bit of a surprise but good to know as I suspect Michael worked quite hard to fix […]